- Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
- Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink at least 2 litres of water daily.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
- Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
- Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin or get a massage to remove toxins through your pores.
- Exercise for 1 hour every day. Yoga or jumping rope are good. Also try qigong, a martial-arts based exercise system that includes exercises specifically for detoxifying or cleansing, as well as many other exercises with specific health benefits.
Foods & detoxification
Include lots of the following in daily diet:
- General rule of thumb – lots & lots of fruit & veggies, variety of legumes, raw nuts & seeds
- Leafy greens including kale, swiss chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, spinach, collards
- Freshly juiced veggies, greens & fruit
- Blue-green algae including spirulina, chlorella
- Fresh herbs – cilantro, parsley, rosemary, mint, cayenne, ginger, garlic, sage, etc.
- Herbal teas – dandelion root, licorice root
- Lemon Juice – squeeze the juice of ½ lemon into water first thing in morning, or drink mid-afternoon for “pick me up”
- Fresh, clean water
- Fiber – ensure regular elimination (veggies, legumes, ground flax seed, chia seed, hemp seed)
- Organic or naturally raised foods – especially animal products (meat, dairy, eggs), soft-skinned fruit, leafy greens
Eliminate some or all of these anti-nutrients from daily diet:
- Sugar (for maximum benefit eliminate honey, agave, maple syrup also) – anything ending with “ose” e.g. maltose, sucrose
- Processed, pre-packaged & “fast” foods
- Alcohol (also a form of sugar)
- Beef, pork
- Non-organic animal products